In case you didn’t have your fill of delicious black eye’d pea dishes yesterday, here is one more recipe to add to your inventory from my Mom! I can attest that this chili was delicious – spicy, warm & hearty. A keeper for sure, especially if it brings us the luck we seek!
“Vegan Black Eye’d Pea Chili”Ingredients:
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 12oz pkg frozen Boca Meatless Ground Crumbles
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced (or 2 or 3)
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce finely chopped, I would take out the seeds, plus 1 Tbsp of adobo sauce (both optional)
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 cups cooked black-eyed peas or 1 15oz can, drained & rinsed
- 1 28 oz can organic crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup or more if needed vegetable broth or waterInstructions:
- Heat the oil in a large pot over med-high heat. Add the onion, and cook until softened, 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, green pepper & jalapeno, cook for another minute then add the meatless crumbles & cook until thawed & broken up, just a few minutes. Add the black-eyed peas, tomatoes & vegetable broth or water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover & simmer, stirring a few times, adding more broth if needed, until all of the ingredients soften, about 20 min. However, the longer it sits all the better.
- Top with shredded vegan cheese & chopped cilantro, even chopped avocado if you like, then enjoy.