I woke up this morning with a hankering for something yummy to go along with my daily green smoothie. It’s been a while since I’ve baked & it sounded like a fun way to spend a gloomy morning!
I love sneaking things like carrots & summer squash into sweet muffins & there were plenty of carrots in my CSA share this week, so carrot muffins it was! I found a simple recipe & made some healthy modifications. I added some Bob’s Red Mill whole wheat pastry flour to the mix, & tossed in some raisins, & all my sugars, flours, & mix-ins were organic.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated cane juice sugar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 teaspoons ground Ceylon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups finely grated carrots
- 2 large apples – peeled, cored & shredded
- 6 teaspoons egg replacer (dry) – I use ener-g
- 1 1/4 cups applesauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
- In a large bowl combine brown sugar, ECJ sugar, flours, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon & salt. Stir in carrot & apple; mix well.
- In a small bowl whisk together egg substitute, applesauce & oil. Stir into dry ingredients. Fold in raisins
- Spoon batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Let muffins cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing from pans to cool completely.
I was so excited when these gorgeous fresh muffins came out of the oven! I’ve struggled with vegan muffins in the past, turning out dry & flavorless bricks! These lovelies are soft, moist, sweet & delicious.
Perfect breakfast treat, or as a sweet snack with afternoon tea!