Eggplant. It’s one of of summer’s quintessential veggies that many people love it hate. I happen to be one of those that loves it, I might not be my Mother’s daughter after all. I must say to do begin to tire of it by summer’s end, but I am always happy to see it return the following summer in my CSA share. What I love about eggplant most is how versatile it is. There are countless ways you can cook with it – grill it, roast it, bake it & etc, – & the endless ways to enjoy it. With eggplant’s summer bounty I almost always make a ratatouille, roasted summer vegetable pizza, vegan eggplant parmesan, baba ganoush, & eggplant curry. Like this…
While I’ve always wanted to make a green curry sauce from scratch, that plan is always thwarted by the existence of Trader Joe’s “Thai Green Curry Simmer Sauce.” It is a delicate blend of coconut milk, soy sauce, cilantro & pureed chili peppers, with aromatic lemongrass & ginger. It’s tangy & bright flavors are absolutely amazing. Why slave over making a curry sauce when you can simply open a jar? I know that’s a lazy way of thinking, but when it’s 90 degrees in my kitchen I want the stove on as little as possible. I did, however, flag a promising looking recipe for when I’m feeling a bit more ambitious.
“Thai Green Curry with Eggplant & Yellow Beans” (cheater version)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp peeled fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 medium Japanese eggplants, cut into 2 in chunks (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup yellow beans, trimmed cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 jar of Trader Joe’s Thai Green Curry Sauce
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic & ginger & stir 30 seconds. Add eggplant & green beans. Cook until almost tender, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add sauce, cover & cook until heated through & veggies are completely tender, about 5 minutes longer. Transfer vegetables to bowl.
- Transfer to a serving bowl & mix in onions, cilantro, & mint. Serve over brown jasmine rice.