562 posts tagged vegan
Native Pals Supports Farm Sanctuary & More!
Hi Compassionate Friends! Have you heard? Native Foods recently launched a partnership "Native Pals," a “new giveback program” where they bring all of their restaurants together to work for great causes. Native has partnered with three amazing national organizations: Farm Sanctuary, Surfrider & Mercy for Animals. Starting (today!) Monday July 28th, all Native Foods locations will begin monthly “give backs” to one of these three groups & offer a free special dessert with purchase of entrée, side & drink.
Today’s benefit honors Farm Sanctuary.The mystery dessert is a very special “Bruno’s Blueberry Crumble.” Bruno (pictured above) is one of Native Foods adopted cows!
So, be sure to visit your local Native today, eat some yummy vegan food & support the wonderful efforts of Farm Sanctuary! You can read more about the "Native Pals Partnership" here. Now go get your charity grub on!
Cooling Summer Quinoa Kitchari
Oh, kitchari, a.k.a. “Comfort in a Bowl,” has become a staple in my diet, as evidenced by the many different variations I’ve shared over the months. Why do I love it so much? Well, it is one of the primary healing foods in Ayurveda. Easily digestible, packed with protein, fiber, & balancing spices, kitchari is the preferred food when one is not feeling their best, out of balance, or recovering from illness. Kitchari can be adapted to the seasons, situations, or personal imbalances by using a variety of different oils, spices, & accoutrements. Endless variations are possible, but traditional kitcharis begin with split mung dal & basmati rice.
This recipe uses quinoa instead of the usual basmati rice, giving the meal a lighter texture & additional boost of protein. I added detoxifying lacinato kale & cooling zucchini, both from my CSA, & flavored with a cooling summer spice blend. This delicious & light version of my favorite comfort food has become a summer staple!
Friends! Don’t miss the super secret pre-sell for Nicora Johns’ unisex "Watson Boot" - handmade in the USA, & absolutely no people or animals harmed in the making of these beautiful boots! SUPPORT AWESOME COMPANIES PLEASE. Vote responsibly with your dollars!!
Super secret pre-SALE continues with the unisex Watson boot - only 20 pairs left www.nicorajohns.com
Optional belt buckle
Fully welted unbreakable soles
Weatherproof textile uppers
Sweat proof liners
Waxed cotton laces ——————————
Photo by @sonofelice
#madeintheusa #veganboots #textilesnotreptiles
It was a good mail day as you can see! Thank you Soom Foods for this generous jar of your “Chocolate Sesame Butter.” OMG! This looks deliciously dangerous!! Look for a review & possible giveaway on the blog soon!
Happiness is coming home to a box of fun beauty products after a stressful day. Been so excited to receive the July beauty box from Petit Vour curated by the lovely Tashina of Logical Harmony. Can’t wait to try all of these vegan & cruelty-free goodies! 💕🐰💕
Starting the day off well with a nourishing bowl of “Raw Bircher Muesli,” another gem from the Choosing Raw Cookbook! I added fresh figs from my friend’s garden, making this an extra special treat! (at vegenista’s kitchen )
Delicious "Raw Gazpacho" from the Choosing Raw Cookbook, made with local veggies from my dear friend’s garden! Thank you Shelly & Jose for the gift of summer’s bounty! (at vegenista’s kitchen )
"Garden Grill" Debuts Today at Hillcrest Farmers’ Market
Here is a sneak peek at some of the menu items ~
- STONE IPA BEER BATTERED AVOCADO TACOS ~ A crispy Stone IPA beer battered avocado on a bed of fresh cilantro, purple and green cabbage. Topped with our house made creamy cilantro Pepita dressing and organic Sriracha.
- BREAKFAST TACOS ~ Scrambled organic tofu, plant-based sausage served on a bed of sauteed spinach. Topped with our house made creamy cheeze sauce.
- RAW TACOS ~ Organic dino kale, walnut “meat”, fresh tomato salad, and nut-cho cheeze all wrapped in a romaine leaf. Gluten Free - Raw!
- CHICK’N ‘N’ WAFFLES ~ Cinnamon spiced waffles, country fried chick’n, herbed mashed potatoes with mushroom gravy.
- THE REUBEN ~ Two toasted artisan pumpernickel rye swirl deli style bread slices, smeared with our house made Russian dressing, our locally made raw organic sauerkraut and thinly sliced house marinated deli style Reuben meat topped with melted mozzarella style cheeze!
- BEER BATTERED MUSHROOMS ~ Stone IPA beer battered crimini mushrooms along side our house made creamy dill sauce.
- AND MORE!!!
All ingredients are 100% plant based Vegan. No MSG, no GMOs, no refined oils or sweeteners. We use local organic ingredients whenever possible.
Oh my heavenly yum! Be there.
Massaged Kale Salad
There is a new post at Vegenista’s Kitchen! A light & summery kale salad with the most delicious, yet simple garlic-tahini-lemon dressing. When the weather heats up & the body starts to feel a bit sluggish & lethargic, nothing tonifies & detoxifies quite like a kale salad! This one is packed full of summer veggies straight from the local farms, massaged with a flavorful mix of roasted garlic olive oil, tahini, lemon juice & sea salt. Perfect for summer, summer, summertime…(best summer song ever!)
Get the recipe here!
Sunday Pop-up Vegan Brunch with Katie’s Healing Kitchen!
Today, Katie took over this typically omnivorous restaurant & prepared an all out awesome vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, & refined sugar-free brunch! She delighted us with 4 courses of amazing eats, mimosas, fair trade coffee & more. Check out this menu:
- Morning Jolt | Fair Trade Coffee / Coconut Cream
- Superfood Green Tea | Goji Berry / Pomegranate
- Citrus Mimosa | Champagne / Orange
- Health Nut Muffin | Lemon / Chia / Strawberry Jam
- Grammy’s Birchermuseli | Coconut Yogurt / Local berries / Oats
- Breakfast Panini | Gluten-Free Sourdough / Tempeh Bacon / Avocado / Basil Aioli / Roasted Bell Peppers / Savory Potato Hash / Wilted Greens
- Minty Sundae | Quinoa Brownies / Mint Chip Ice Cream / Raw Chocolate Sauce
Yum! Right? The proof is in the pictures! And all of this deliciousness for only $30!
My favorite dish of the day? Hmmmm, it’s a tough call, but if I had to choose…I really loved the "Breakfast Panini" ~ some of my favorite things wrapped up in a sandwich! Contrary to popular belief, when grilled or toasted, gluten-free bread is not bad at all! Of course not all are created equal, so I asked Katie which brand she prefers. She uses Cook’s GF Sourdough Bread which you can find at the co-op if you’re local. And I’d be lying if I didn’t say that the "Minty Sundae" knocked my socks off, come on! Ice Cream for brunch? Don’t have to twist my arm. But honestly, in true Katie fashion, everything was fantastic!
So, if you are in San Diego & you have not been to a pop-up or cooking class with Katie you are missing out! Katie has an upcoming dinner pop-up on July 22nd that you do not want to miss. The theme "LONGEVITY." Who wants a bit more of that? I know I do!! Check out Katie’s lovely website for more information & to RSVP. And to learn more about Katie, be sure to read my extensive review of her Thanksgiving Cooking Class & her Superfood Breakfast Guest Post.
Be sure to sign up for her mailing list & newsletter. Hope to see you at a future event!