Happy New Year, everyone! I celebrated NYE with a few fresh basil martinis at my favorite neighborhood French bistro, & then made a decadent dinner of Artichoke Crostini, Fennel & Fruit Salad with Mandarin Champagne Vinaigrette, & Truffled Mac & Cheese - all vegan of course. The martinis & wine really wiped me out & sadly I was asleep on the couch by 10. So much for the champagne toast at midnight!
I started my first day of 2013 with some peach detox tea, a fresh green juice, & a 3 mile jog - part of my plan to get extremely healthy this year. 2012 was a bit of a drag, & I am certainly ready to wipe the slate clean, & brighten up my perspective.
The last few years, I’d gotten into the habit of making paella on New Years’ Day, but this year I decided to jump on the centuries old Southern tradition of black eye’d peas. I put together this version of “Texas Caviar” inspired by recipes from Susan Voisin & Mimi Clark. Whether or not these “peas” bring me the luck I desire, this dish is certainly a healthful, wholesome, fresh & delicious way to start the New Year.
"Texas Caviar a.k.a Good Luck Salad"Ingredients:
- 15 oz. can organic black-eyed peas, drained & rinsed
- 1-1/2 cups chopped, seeded tomatoes
- 1 cup roasted corn
- 1/4 cup scallions, finely sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded & minced
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. each: sea salt, ground cumin
- freshly ground pepper to tasteInstructions:
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Cover & refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight for optimal flavor. Garnish with extra cilantro & squeeze of fresh lemon juice if desired.
Wishing you all a wonderful New Year. Enjoy!
- felistella likes this
- allaboutfiguringitout reblogged this from vegenista
- isolation-isolation-isolation likes this
- mskimisfierce likes this
- todaylour likes this
- makesyourskincrawl likes this
- veganfeast reblogged this from vegenista and added:
- eatairbreathlife likes this
- eathomp reblogged this from vegenista
- eathomp likes this
- parallaxiom reblogged this from vegenista and added:
- dead-scream likes this
- vegenista posted this